Mercedes C220 CDi

Six months in with the C220 and I'm still desperately seeking evoness. Sometimes I forget to seek it, like when going from A to B, but it's when I feel the need to go via C and D that things get a bit frustrating.

At 1500kg the Sport Coupe is the heaviest in its class in The Knowledge. You really feel that weight, and although the 2.2 turbodiesel unit is adequate while the turbo is spinning or at motorway cruising speed, lack of low-end shove can be annoying.

Since the onslaught of late autumn downpours, I've been finding that a fair bit of respect is due in the wet. A recent rainy evening resulted in a big aquaplaning moment on a road I know well. The tyres have bags of tread and my speed really didn't feel excessive for the conditions. Fortunately there was enough of the black stuff to recover on, but it was a wake-up call nonetheless.

As the C220 is rear-wheel drive, I can't help disengaging the traction control now and again for some oversteer fun. Second gear with the turbo coming to life just about does it... but with h-u-g-e care; this may look like a small car but it's got big- car momentum.

This is my first Mercedes, so a foot-operated parking brake is a new experience, and it's starting to wind me up. I'm sure it works perfectly in tandem with an auto 'box but mine's a manual. Stop-start London traffic on an incline is where it's at its worst. Where a hill start with a conventional handbrake seems natural and instinctive, trying to juggle two brake pedals, clutch and throttle, plus the lever under the dashboard that releases the parking brake, seems to be a recipe for frequent stalling. Alternatively, too many revs and you're launched in the style of a plane from an aircraft carrier. Confusing? It still challenges me on dark Monday mornings.

Find a clear motorway or A-road, however, and all is forgiven. New rules apply. Plenty of mid-range torque, cosseting seats, solid, planted ride - it all comes into its own. You can drive for miles, quickly, and still turn in around 50mpg.

Driving behind the three-pointed star still promotes a general feel-good factor and I have even got used to the rear end styling. If it wasn't for those pesky B-roads I would be as happy as Larry.

Mercedes news, Mercedes reviews, Mercedes DIY...